Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Inside Eglise de Raynaude (13-April-2014)

In my previous post I talked about the Chemin de Croix behind the Eglise de Raynaude. Here I just wanted to post a few of the photos we took inside the church itself and of the cemetery at the top of the hill behind the church.

The door of the church was open so we went on in. Based on the articles I read the church was finished some time around 1863 making it about 150 years old.






The most striking feature of the church is the stained glass windows. I have no idea if they are original or were added later. The colors are some of the brightest I have seen in a church - very beautiful.








The cemetery behind the church was a mix of old and new burial plots. The oldest we found was dated 1908 but there a couple that we couldn't read. Many were from the last decade.

What I found interesting is that the new graves were decorated with plaques and flowers. Each of the plaques from from a friend or family member and some had small quotes on them. They would say "From a cousin", "From a Brother-in-law", "From an Uncle" - etc.


They were arranged nicely and it was very pleasant to see that so many people cared for the person who had died. I have seen different plaques when I attend a funeral but I have not visited a cemetery for some time to see if the plaques are left on the graves in the United States - your comments on this are welcome!

I hope you enjoy the photos. You can read more about the church at this link

No comments: